Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Salsa Stuffed Avocado
by Chef Richard Ingraham
INGREDIENTS FOR CHICKEN
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small onion, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, or 2 pounds thighs with bones
2 Hass avocados halved and pit removed
INGREDIENTS FOR SALSA
2 cups strawberries, diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely diced or sliced
1 jalapeño, finely diced
1 lime, juice and zest
2 tsp honey
2 tablespoons cilantro,chopped
salt to taste
METHOD FOR SALSA
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
METHOD FOR CHICKEN
- Preheat grill.
- Combine the garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and oil in a blender or small food processor, and blend until fairly smooth.
- Add the juices, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Marinate chicken 30 minutes.
- Grill 6 to 8 minutes a side, or until meat is nicely browned and cooked medium.
- Chop chicken.
- Stuff cut avocado with grilled chicken and top with ‘Strawberry Salsa.’